Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Blog Post #3

After watching the video What is Peer Editing? and viewing the slideshow Peer Edit With Perfection Tutorial I now know a better way to peer edit. The ways the video and slideshow mention about peer editing can be a better way to approach one should have when needing to do so. One should first compliment ones work they did. Complimenting could be as simple as saying you liked how they worded something or a view they used. Then one should make suggestions on their work and how it could be improved: not telling them what they did poorly, but ways it may be easier to understand. Lastly, you correct their work. Correcting could be in spelling, grammatical, and punctuation errors made in the work done. These are the three way to become a better peer reviewer. For an entertaining way to learn how not to peer review, I recommend watching Writing Peer Review Top 10 Mistakes. I have yet to meet anyone who loves people reviewing their paper like the people used for example in this video.

When critiquing a post, I will make small suggestions as in spelling or grammar by public ways like commenting on the post. I do this because most of the time it is just a small error made by the writer. However, if it is something that they have in their post that shows that it was not just an error, I inform them privately by email or such. I do this because I have been informed of a mistake I've made before in front of a whole class. It was embarrassing and frustrating because the teacher could have done it privately instead of making it known to the class I did something wrong. I try to think of the response a person may feel if I critique their work and how they would rather take it.

Red pen with paper

4 comments:

  1. I thought you did a great job summarizing peer editing from the videos and slideshow! I might would revise a couple things though. I would put a comma after lastly in the first paragraph on the seventh row."It was embarrassing and frustrating because the teacher could have done it privately instead of making it known the the class I did something wrong." You need to change the first the in a row to the word to. Good job and I enjoyed reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...if it is something that they have in their post that shows that it was not just an error, ..." What is something that is "not just an error"?

    Why are educators so squeamish about telling (and being told) about their mistakes when artists, computer programmers, scientists, politicians, football (and other sports) players not at all like that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grace,
    I thought that your commentary and thoughts were constructive, but your wording and sentence structure got a little confusing. For example, in the section on peer editing, the following sentence could be simplified: "The way the video and slideshow say about peer editing is the approach one should have when needing to peer review."
    Also, the sentence "Not telling them what they did poorly, but ways it may be easier to understand" could be attached to the previous sentence with a semicolon to keep the sentence from being a fragment.
    Also, I feel that there is no reason to be embarrassed if your mistake is brought up in front of the class. The motto of this clas is "I don't know, let's find out." My point is that we all make mistakes, and you will make mistakes as a teacher also. We can all learn from each other if mistakes are corrected in a productive way and it is approached as a lesson to learn. Children also need to be less wary of mistakes because striking out is part of learning. I am also not calling you out, I just want you to know that your errors are pointed out to help you, not to frustrate or embarrass you. We all want you to enjoy blogging rather than having to write essays to fulfill the writing requirement. Any further questions or help you need, feel free to let me know!
    Keep up the good work,
    Carly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went back over the two sentences and tried to improve them. As for the future I will try to be more clear on my wording, thanks for telling me! Sometimes I read and think things differently than the readers so it's good to know I need to improve that way.

      Delete