Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Blog Post #11

kid talking about hacking dads blog with mom

Before watching Little Kids...Big Potential that shows Ms. Cassidy's first grade class from Canada, I had no clue of the amount of kids who use technology. These first graders probably know how to use the internet better than I do. The approach of learning in this classroom is mostly through technology. Growing up in a generation that hardly used technology in school, it was very interesting to see how much it has become involved for the younger generation. These kids were using SmartBoards, maintaining blogs, using Skype, and making videos. The way Ms. Cassidy teaches her class is through ways these kids are familiar with, through technology. Ms. Cassidy mentioned in the Skype Interview with Ms. Cassidy that kids and technology go hand in hand. Kids are far more capable of using anything technological than my generation, and past ones, are able. Technology is not, and will not, stop growing. As future teachers, we need to be able to know how to use these teaching tools better than the students. It becomes a learning experience for both the students and the teachers, I think. I loved how in the Skype call, Ms. Cassidy said that she has heard of some teachers creating a separate Facebook account as well as the students. I think this is a great idea! Our EDM 310 class can even be found on Facebook, EDM310: USA Student Aggregator! I think this is great for asking questions and finding information in a familiar atmosphere for many students.
Besides having a Facebook account for teacher/student purposes only, I loved how Ms. Cassidy said that she loves using the blogs because it is exciting for the kids to be able to see how many views their post have received, but also it's good for the parents. The parents of these first graders are able to go to the blog of their child whenever they want to. Getting to do so allows the parent to see the progress their child is making as far as writing. I think this is great because it does let the parent see how well their child is doing in the classroom at whatever time they want. I think maintaining blogs also works great with the students because of the thought of people world wide being able to read what they write. I think using Facebook and blogs are great tools for communicating with students and parents and could see my future classroom using these. I think by using these teaching tools, students will not only become more familiar with technology, but it will make it easier to learn. I think by using ways students are comfortable with will allow students to do their very best. By maintaining blogs, it could improve their writing skills. Also by leaving comments on other students' posts, shows how to improve personal skills such as how to approach someone. Students who make videos, could improve their speaking and performance skills. In many ways these classrooms are teaching, I think a skill is taught in each besides the actual learning which is great.

5 comments:

  1. Good Job on your post! It was very informative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grace,

    Good post on Ms Cassidy and the use of technology in younger classrooms. I also like that you mentioned my Facebook child (EDM310: USA Student Aggregator).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post was very well written. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grace, good job on your post. You shared your views on Mrs. Cassidy's technological approach in the classroom quite thoroughly. Although, there was something you said that I disagree with. You said,"As future teachers, we need to be able to know how to use these teaching tools better than the students." Yes, we need to be able to teach them but as you also said it is a learning process for us too! We want to make sure we don't intimidate the students and let them know that we are learning along with them. It is important to not be so serious and stay open minded. If one of my students knows something that I didn't know about a computer, I won't get offended. They can teach me! I will even let them come in front and teach it to the class. I think they will feel important and special after that. Anyways, I'm done rambling on. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will you be a Ms. Cassidy kind of teacher?

    ReplyDelete