Wednesday, July 3, 2013

C4T #3

Being assigned to read Hadley, J F's blog,Middle School Matrix, the most recent post was And It Comes Together! #PBL. In the post, Hadley tells how the classroom has become a project based learning class. Hadley mentioned how the students goals and interests became the focus during the class time. Hadley became amazed by how much excitement and involvement the students were showing in their work. Mentioned were how a few members in group projects slacked on their work but the majority completed the task by working together. It was interesting to see how students involved their learning into a creation for a "store" the class had. Included in the post were some creations a few students made and how it tied in with what they were learning about. With these creations, teachers, administrators, and other students would stop by the "store" to see what was made. The students with creations would talk to the shoppers and try to convince them to chose whatever item was made. Using stickers, the shoppers would mark which items they would "buy" and the one with the most stickers would win.
After reading this post, I left a comment. In this comment I introduced myself and included why I was on their blog. I also included a link to my personal blog as well as the class blog. I then mentioned how our EDM 310 class was a PBL. I included that I thought it was cool that the students were learning the same way. I also said that it was great to see that the students had become excited and involved in their learning experience. I finished by thanking Hadley for sharing the experience and success with the readers.

This picture is of a parachute lamp, it is representing an invention by Leonardo da Vinci. This is one example of a creations that the students made.
parachute lamp


After no new post sense the one above, I went and found Hadleys' next blog post "Craziest History Class Ever!" #PBL. Assigning his students in groups to come up with items that would best represent 1400-1600 European exhibit. Hadley shared with the readers a list of tasks that each student would be responsible for under the category they were under. These categories are Store Manager, Architect, 2 or 3 Area Managers, 2 Advertising Managers, Business Scout, and Store Maintenance. Each of these groups were assigned to complete some sort of work rather it be research or leading a discussion to name a few. Hadley mentioned that the conversations between the groups was mostly student led with a little input from himself. When it came to the Advertising Managers turn to share with their group, Hadley says that's when the "craziness" started. They were in charge of leading the conversation to be on store names, the store colors, and slogans. Trying to get input from everyone, the groups had to come up with their store.
In my comment on this post, I quickly introduced myself. I included in my post that I thought it was great how Hadley let his students be responsible for their own group. I mentioned that it was also great of letting the students use their own creativity which could let the learning experience more interesting. I followed by thanking Hadley for sharing the experience with the readers.

2 comments:

  1. This is interesting but it needs to be edited.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PBL at work. Ms. Hadley is an important member of my PBL. Did you know she is a female?

    Good summary.

    ReplyDelete