Sunday, July 14, 2013

C4T #4

The most recent blog post by Denise Krebs was Road Tripping, Connections, and Community. In this post, Denise tells the readers of experiences she has had while road tripping. On this two week trip, she was able to meet up with her daughter, a pastor/mentor, her nephews family, and a dozen members of her online professional learning network. Denise mentions how she found it interesting that out of all the people she had met on this trip, she had only met three of them face to face before. She tells of how staying in touch with people we meet of trips seems easier to do nowadays than it was back then, all thanks to the internet. One click away and you can stay in touch with people. Where as back in the day, it was not that simple, but a strong effort that needed to be made by both members if wanting to stay in touch. When getting to visit a friend as she was teaching school, Denise tells the readers of the experience she had witnessed at this school. Two teachers who were co-learners with their student. I loved how she worded this because it is true that teachers learn as well when they are teaching students. She goes on to say how it was a delight seeing the principle of Georges Vanier Elementary, was interacting with the students at the school. This would be a great site to see as a parent of a student. Interacting with the students, the principle is showing interest in the students academics, which all principles should be. Denise then goes on to tell of seeing her friend Robyn and her classroom at a different school. What stood out to me in this class was that Denise mentioned that they were using skype and blogs. This is showing that Robyn's 3rd and 4th graders were using technology in the class which I liked. She finishes her post telling the readers about getting to meet up with several educators that she finally got to meet in person. Also how she was able to spend time with one of these friends, Sheri. Sheri was able to take her around the community, the school she taught at, and several other sites. Denise closes by saying when driving back home with her husband, that she was able to reflect on all the things made possible, because of connections she had made on the internet.
In my comment left on this post, I introduced myself. I included a link to the class blog as well as my personal blog like we have done in the past C4T assignments. I mentioned that it was great that she was able to meet people that she had connections with through the internet. I included that it is true that the internet has been a great help with staying in touch with people from around the world. I finished my comment by thanking her for sharing with the readers the experiences she has had.

FAIL = First Attempt In Learning
Since no new post since the one above, I went and found the next post by Denise Krebs. Failure was really well written and I enjoyed reading it. Denise talks about failing to make a vlog, but does that make her a failure? Failing is being unable to succeed in something. Failure is when you do not attempt to try to correct. Denise shares that the way we can overcome failure is to have perseverance, persistence, and grit. In her post, she shares a quote that she had found that I really liked. "the qualities that matter most have less to do with IQ and more to do with character..." I think this is great because it says that character is important. Many times one can hear of having the academic ability is what someone needs to have to succeed. I think it can help, but it is not the only need. Denise shares an image to her readers. This image includes acronyms to the word "fail". F.A.I.L is a First Attempt In Learning. I love this so much! Anyone who has failed and tried harder and have succeeded will know this is true. The way people learn things is through failure.

In my comment on this post, I introduced myself again and mentioned that I was a student in EDM310 at USA. I included how I loved how she pointed out the difference in failing and being a failure. I included that I agree with her that the words fail and failure should not be used in an educational context. That the person who needs to believe the most in a students learning should be the teacher. By using terms like Failure can hinder a student of their capabilities. I closed my comment by thanking her for sharing her thoughts with the readers.

2 comments:

  1. "...her nephews family..." nephew's, not nephews

    "...principle of Georges Vanier Elementary, was interacting with the students at the school. This would be a great site to see as a parent of a student. Interacting with the students, the principle is showing interest in the students academics, which all principles should be." Principal is a person. Principle is a rule or belief. Three problems in this quote. Also change the last word in the quote from be to do.

    "...failing to make a vlog..." What is a viog?

    I like F.A.I.L.!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post, but make sure you proof your post before you publish. I like this post and I can tell you gained some insight from it.

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete